Thursday, October 18, 2012

Clinical Trial -- Round 1 -- So far, pretty good

I had my first round of the clinical trial drug -- Xyotax 2 weeks ago today and went for my Nadir check-up and blood test this morning.

Results:

1.  I love the fact that the Xyotax itself only took 15 minutes to administer vs. 3 hours Taxol used to take.  Still have to take a few pre-drugs, and I hate the steroid high for a few days after, but not too bad.

2.  I love the fact that so far my hair isn't falling out.  In the past 14 days after a treatment my hair would fall out.  This morning I pulled and pulled and pulled on my ever growing head of hair and nothing came out.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

3.  Nausea and fatigue -- still here, but not as bad.  My first rounds of chemo hit me hard day 3-10.  Although I was able to be up and around, I spent a good chunk of that time in bed and resting.  I have been tired and I have been nauseated, but nothing to keep me in bed.   Most days I've taken a short nap, but not everyday and not anything like I used to.  Although by the time I hit the bed at night, I am wasted and ache all over.

And I've been able to keep eating my "new and improved eating plan" despite the nausea.  Lisa and I are discovering new green smoothie combinations every day and generally have at least one conversation about a new oil or seed or veggie we need to add, and my kids seems to be getting used to and eating more of the veggies I'm surrounding them with.  And believe it or not, no or very little sugar is not too bad.  I did partake of a Becky Murri oatmeal chocolate chip cookie at a meeting, and had a couple bites of a cinnamon sugar bagel, but I'm surprised at how well I'm doing cutting out most sugar.

4.  Nueropathy and Feet problems.  Unfortunately I had very little of this before and it seems to be a bit of a problem now.  Tingling, numbness, swelling and pain.  Don't want to complain, but not sure I'll be able to do the full dosage for the entire 12 rounds.

5. Platelets and Red Blood seemed to have held up, but my white count is hammered.  Super low and have to be careful of infections.  Surprisingly though so far I have not been hit with Lauren's sore throat and cold she had last week, or the stomach flu she had Monday.  Maybe I'm just used to her germs.

6.  Exercise.  Although I can feel the affects of chemo vs. the 7 weeks when I hadn't had any chemo, I have been able to exercise.  I've been walking, going to the gym, lifting weights (well really light weights) and have gone on a couple of bike rides.

Overall I shouldn't complain, but I do anyway!  Just pray this stuff is doing my body some good -- trying to have faith that I did the right thing and am going to enjoy a long slow dance with NED.

1 comment:

The Lymans said...

I didn't get an update about what you put in your smoothie today so I had to just make up my own recipe.... :)