Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I Can't Believe she is Adopted...

I was just over at the Jr. High volunteering this morning and heard once again... "I can't believe she is adopted -- you look just like each other!"

The first time that really came up was when Lauren was in Kindergarten and I was pregnant with Cameron. Her teacher said she needed to talk to me and proceeded to tell me that she was a little worried about Lauren because she was going around telling everyone she was adopted.

"She was" I said, "and she is very proud of that."

Her teacher couldn't believe it and she looked at my fat belly and said she looks like you and acts like you.

I'd love to say that Lauren gets her athletic ability from me (which she is quick to point out that I run so funny and hates it if she sees me run... she was so embarrased at soccer once because I had to run across the field and she said please mom don't try to run) or that Kenzi got her musical ability from me (but we know that isn't true... especially if you have ever sat by me in R.S. trying to sing an opening song).

But it is ironic/interesting/not surprising that Lauren and I look alike and Lauren looks just like Rob's girls. Kenzi and Cameron have pictures when Cameron was about 2 and Kenzi 6 and their faces in a little cut out and I can't tell which one is which.

They say that married couples begin to look alike -- and I do think that you pick up mannerisms and dress from those you are around.

A friend of mine who is adopted was once told by his mom that after they were sealed she wouldn't be surprised if they did a DNA test and it came back that they had the same DNA.

Either way -- I am just so grateful that the 3 little miracle Hess kids somehow ended up togther whether we are "biologically related" and if we do or don't look like one another!

2 comments:

The Lymans said...

I forget they are even adopted all the time. Cameron and Kenzi look so much alike and Lauren looks and acts just like you, Steph. Kind of gives you goosebumps to see how things work out!!

Nancy Nina said...

I've thought this for a long time! Wonder if Zoe will start picking up some Hess mannerisms?:)