Saturday, May 21, 2011

Great Ending Lauren, Jana and Millcreek

After the torrential rainstorm grand finale -- track is over.

Jana took 1st in District in the 100m and 200m -- Lauren did great and finished 8th in the mile and was the only 7th grader who qualified for the 1600. Their 4/400 team took 3rd (not sure what happened there -- they killed everyone at South End) and Millcreek girls took 2nd overall.

I don't think I've ever been so wet in my life... without jumping into a pool fully clothed. It rained and rained and poured and rained. The weather, along with the pressure of District, kind of wigged Lauren out and she begged me to stay on the field with her... and I did... for about an hour before her mile. So my great chair and shelter I brought just got wet along with me. It was very strange to watch kids run a race with their eyes shut so they could actually see!

Lauren loved track -- the competition and the social part both. Jr. High track really is quite the social event. Lauren even had some fans who weren't related try to endure a little bit of the meet -- I guess a crush can only stand the rain for only so long.

It is a lot of fun to watch her do so well in track and soccer. I guess part of my fascination is that I can't do either of those sports. Give me some skis or a volleyball -- maybe even a basketball, but anything with running and endurance is so very hard for me.

Before the 1600 she and the other Millcreek girls were sooo nervous. They were shivering and wet and just really wanted to quit -- and almost in tears. But it was great to watch her and Jana and the rest of them push past her fears and the cold and do what inside they knew they could do. I love that she is learning she can "Do Hard Things" and after the fact (after the long shower and hot dinner) she can look back and smile!

No comments: