Friday, September 21, 2012

Dancing with NED!!

In the cancer world NED means "No Evidence of Disease."

As of yesterday I am officially NED!!!!!

Yesterday I had my first CT Scan since chemo ended and it looked clean -- no sign of any tumors.  My CA 125 was 7 -- normal is anything under 35.  (I started out at 800.)

Unfortunately with Ovarian, and many other cancers, they will never say I am cured or there is evidence of no disease.

But for now NED is the best I can ask for.  Depending on what happens with my clinical trial I will have blood tested and Dr. visits every couple of months for the next year.  I know from talking to others the anxiety of being tested and waiting for results is not going to be easy.

I have to just forget the statistics.  I have to be careful about what I read.  I just need to live a happy, healthy and fulfilling life.

I met a lady with was given 1% chance of surviving and it has been 10 years.  She has lived to see the birth of several grand kids.  I met another lady who was told she had a 90-95% chance of her cancer never coming back and unfortunately a few years later it is back in another spot and she is fighting again.

I hate Dave's "you could get hit by a bus tomorrow" analogy -- but it is true.  Before cancer I never knew from day to day if I would live or die -- but I never thought twice about it.  Now I think about it at least twice a day.

But for now as my cancer friends say "I am dancing with NED."  If I were dancing with Tim, Matt or Kevin, Dave might not be too happy, but NED -- Dave is ok with that.

5 comments:

gwen said...

Awesome news! YAY! You continue to inspire me---you are amazing. Love you!

The Lymans said...

Doing the happy dance too!!!

Misty said...

I'm going to start calling you Ned. :)

So happy for you!!!!

Tammy said...

I found you. NED sounds like a great dance partner.

Nancy Nina said...

I wouldn't just dance with NED, I would totally date him!

So happy to hear this news.

Love ya.