I did it... barely. White blood count was borderline low but since it was my last time they went ahead and did it.
Dave and the kids and Katie Jones (my personal massage therapist who always rubs my feet at chemo and my back at home) joined me -- thanks Terri for doing the kids ride juggling too! I got a pleasant surprise during chemo and got a beautiful bouquet from my siblings and dad. We got to enjoy it during chemo and bring it home tonight.
My cute ovarian cancer friend Rose met me there this morning and gave me these two great shirts her daughter sent her, and my other survivor friend Linda joined us at the end with some gorgeous sunflowers and celebrated as I rang the bell. Kenzi and I put on the cute shirts and happily listened to the claps from the nurses. Surprise, surprise -- there were a few tears. Hugging my favorite nurse Erin who said she never wants me to see my face on "this side of the office" again and talking to Linda about trying to focus on living -- and not living in fear made me get a bit emotional. I kind of lost it for a few minutes when I got in the car.
We had a little impromptu ice cream FHE with my family and a few friends tonight and enjoyed the sparkling apple cider from the cancer center. I told the kids we would have a big party in a few weeks.
Tonight I'm going to focus on being done and being grateful. It was longer than I had planned, harder than I would have ever imagined, and yet in hind site -- do-able. Just like the plaque above the computer says, I guess the Hess Family "can do hard things!" And I know it was hard on my whole family, Dave's family and our friends as well -- so again -- tonight I'm going to focus on being done, on feeling relatively well and the great people in my life.
 |
| My friend Rosemary and the shirts she gave me. She and I met at the chemo office and have had fun cheering each other on. Cam was concerned it had a swear word on it. I told him in the case of running away from chemo that it was ok to wear it just this once. |
 |
| Kenzi and Katie warming up the shirts. |
 |
| Linda -- met through my oncologist. She finished her chemo last October. She's been my texting cheerleader and says we are going to be survivors together! |
 |
| The Bell! |
 |
| Kenzi insisted I run in slow motion toward the bell. |
 |
| Ringing that bell!!!!!! |
 |
| Banana Split Celebration -- with a bigger party to come... |
3 comments:
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Love you Steph!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
you did it!!!!!!!!
you're so awesome.
also, i had no idea there was an actual bell. that's sweet.
You are amazing!! Way to go!
Post a Comment