Monday, March 5, 2012

MRI -- Good think I'm not claustrophobic

Had my MRI this morning -- unfortunately won't probably know the results until tomorrow.


Just a few comments about MRIs.


1.  Oh my -- you could not do that if you were claustrophobic.  Nothing like being in a small tube with pounding noises in your head.  They didn't have to have me all of the way in so if I need to I could roll my head back and see out the back, but I know why some people can't get MRIs.


2.  I felt like I was in a futuristic sci-fi movie being brainwashed or healed or something, or I was in that episode in LOST when they make someone sit it a room with weird images and loud noises while they are hypnotizing or doing whatever to them.


3.  I can sing Primary Songs in my head amidst really loud obnoxious pounding noises (at least if it is only for 45 minutes).  I couldn't concentrate on scriptures though.


4.  Popping/bursting/failing veins during the dye injection process hurts -- REALLY REALLY HURTS.  I was doing great until they started the images injecting the dye and all of the sudden I felt like my arm was going to explode.  I had tears running down my cheeks and I was trying to tell them something was wrong, but there were 3 consecutive tests and they couldn't hear me.  By the time she was able to ask me how I was doing I was pretty sure I wouldn't have an arm left and was not a very happy little patient.


Apparently the vein gave in or popped or burst or failed so the dye leaked out of my vein and into the tissues -- and tissue and that dye don't do well together.  She came in, took out the IV and put an heat pack on it.  She said it would hurt until the dye was absorbed by my body.


She was super surprised my vein didn't hold up because she said my vein had looked really good and seemed to hold well during the flushing.  She had to move it to the other side and pray it didn't fail on that one too.  Sounds really mellow dramatic, but the thoughts of that happening again just about put me over the edge.  As she did the IV on the other arm and started up the tube again I just prayed over and over again.  I knew that Heavenly Father could make sure my other vein would work and it wouldn't happen again.  I've been very specific and probably very annoying in my prayers lately.  I have direct, specific and immediate requests and gratefully this prayer was answered.   They finished up the test and I did great.


My poor friend Becky that took me to the appointment was out in the waiting room and had gone to the front desk to make sure I was ok since it was taking so long.  I'm afraid I didn't look my best self when I came out.  Good thing she doesn't love me for my looks.  


The nurse apologized over and over again -- although there was nothing she could have done.  I assured her that 2012 hasn't been a banner year for me so it was ok to have had a little blip.


I'm home, only feel a slight bruise in my arm and am happy it is over.  Now just praying the results are good!!!

3 comments:

Coco said...

Steph,

I bet that Jesus loves your direct and immediate prayers. Those are the easiest to answer.

Rob & Megg said...

We'll be praying for good results here at our house. Love you!!

Reba said...

Is there an MRI update? Im hoping no news is good news!