Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Port Placement went without a Hitch... and Misty Didn't Even Get Arrested!

I had my outpatient procedure to get my 2nd chemo port inserted.  They'll do chemo and all blood draws from it.  I now officially have two metal (I think titanium) heart shaped ports and tubes in me.  How cool I would look at an airport scanner.  Other than looking like I've been beaten (I can't get the area wet for at least 24 hours so the blue sanitizing dye gives a nice contrast to the 2 incisions and port poking out of my neck/chest -- it was not to bad. 


I have to say, I was NOT looking forward to it.  I had gotten dehyrdrated over the weekend from my new stomach trying to get used to itself (I'll spare the details) and then had to got the procedure fasting.  Lisa took me to the hospital and suggested that I asked them to give me a bag of fluid and anti-naseau stuff before the procedure.  (It is good to have post-op nurse as a friend.)


Everyone at IMC is always so good to me and immediately after getting to my room they hooked me up with an IV.  Since I didn't have anyone wait with me the sweet nurse just hung out with me.  We talked and told stories about our kids and she just did everything to assure me it would be a good procedure.  The PA came in to tell me about the procedure and then sat on my bed and asked if he could tell a personal story.  He then told me both his mother-in-law and aunt had ovarian cancer and they were 5 1/2 years and 12 years out.  He said that Ovarian has a bad reputation but he's seen people beat it and wanted me to know it. 


The procedure was great, love the "versed" sp? they give as an amnesiac and before I knew it I was back in my room with a huge glass of sprite and ice and Lorna Doones.  (Thanks Mary Ann!)  Honestly I felt better after I was done than I had felt going in that morning.  I think the IV was "just what the Dr. ordered."  


Finally... a procedure without a hitch.  No liver spot, no vein failure, no barfing issues.


But wait... when calling Dave to tell him I had "survivied" I saw two missed calls from Valley View from two hours earlier and two messages.  Hmmm... Kenzi was checking out for an ortho appointment and Misty was picking her up.  What could have gone wrong?


Message 1:  Mrs. Hess this is Valley View.   We just saw Makenzie walk past the office, and go outside and get in a black SUV.  She didn't check out and we need to know if it was you or verified by you.  If we can't get a verification we need to call the police.  Please call us back as soon as possible.


Me:  Huh?!   I gave her a note to check herself out.  I emailed her teacher.  Please tell me they didn't send the police after Misty?


Message 2 sent 10 minutes later:  Mrs. Hess this is Valley View again.  We were able to talk to Mrs. Higley and verify that you had told her she had an appointment so we won't need to call the police.  Makenzie needs to make sure she checks out next time. 


Me:  Call school to verify although it was 2 hours later.  Not realizing I was still groggy try to explain that I was in the hospital and hope everything was ok.  I txt'd Misty to try and tell the funny story (bad idea to txt or make calls after surgery I was still a little out of it).


Apparently Makenzie had checked out, they just didn't see her in the office, they only saw her standing at the door and running outside to get in the black SUV.  She said the office people scolded her when she got back, even though she had assured them she had given her teacher the note, used the computer to check out and had done everything she was supposed to.  I don't blame the office -- better to error on the side of caution.


I just was imaging the local news headline -- Amber Alert cancelled after 12 year old found at orthodonist 4 blocks away with nice friend and her 5 year old daughter.  All 3 were found sitting in the lobby of Dr. Feller's office enjoying a hot baked Cutler cookie when the police located the girl.


After laughing and taking a nap, I check out, feel great, give my nice nurse a hug goodbye and ride home with Tammy and the warm blanket she brought for me!


I'll take this kind of hitch!

2 comments:

Misty said...

We just wanted to give you more excitement for the day, that's all. :) 5.5 and 12 years out! That's huge, Steph!

The Lymans said...

I'm trying to picture the mug shot of Misty with cookie crumbs on her face!

So happy it went well...