Friday, March 22, 2013

Small Acts of Kindness

We always hear how little small acts of kindness -- even from a stranger -- can make a huge difference.

I've been surrounded by small and large acts of kindness this past year too numerous to write here and now. 

I keep thinking I should have kept a journal of all of the acts of kindness.  This morning I experienced one of these -- and it really struck me.  .

For the past month I've been going to the Rec. Center -- finally feeling good enough to really start an exercise program. 

On Friday mornings I go to a yoga class -- this was my 3rd time.  I'm definitely the remedial student, but it feels so good and is just what I need.

The instructor is super kind, and calm and gentle -- just what you would want from a yoga instructor.

After the 1st week I was talking to her and she told me there was a beginner class she taught ... obviously my poor yoga skills shone through.  I told her I was just back to exercise after a bad year of chemo and cancer and that I really felt like yoga would help me.  She was very sweet and kind.

So today when I walked in I got a mat and she came over and said "I want you to use my mat today."  It was a lovely purple mat -- that was extra long.  I thought she gave it to me since I am so tall and last time I went I kept going off the mat.

After class I rolled it up to give it to her and told her thanks.  I told her I really appreciated the longer size.  She said "aren't you in the middle of chemo?  I want to minimize germs you are exposed to so when you come I want to give you my mat so it isn't so germy."

So simple, but so kind.  I was so touched.  I was reminded that thinking of others doesn't have to be huge.  It can be as simple as remembering a stranger, worrying about her being exposed to germs and sharing a yoga mat. 

The world is full of good people!

(And thank heavens that happened this morning because Dave's car window got bashed in today while we were at his aunt's funeral and my purse was stolen.  By the time we found it they had already made 2 purchases on my credit card -- one for $700.  Really?!?!  At a funeral?!?!?!  Ok... but at least I started the day off on a good note.)

1 comment:

Misty said...

No!! Bad thief! I'm so sorry. But I'm also happy for a good yoga instructor who was kind to you. :)