Sunday, March 10, 2013

Life if Great -- A lot because I'm Grateful

I woke up yesterday morning and took a shower.  So... my future great grand kids are saying to their parents as they are reading this book at FHE one night. 

Well I stood in the shower the whole time, I didn't have to use a shower chair.  I didn't cringe with pain the whole time.  I didn't have to wear a huge plastic covering to cover my 3 surgical wounds.  I didn't have to avoid the water on the 3 holes in my stomach.  I didn't look in the mirror and say "Oh yeah -- I'm bald."

I can't tell you how great it is to take a shower and take a bath -- WITHOUT HOLES IN YOUR STOMACH.

A couple of mornings earlier and woke up after a full nights sleep.  Again my future great grand kids are saying... so.

Oh my goodness.  I never realized how amazing it is to have a full night sleep.  For the past year I can count on one hand that times I have slept through the night.  The majority of the nights were me being awake in pain, or nauseau or itching or kicking or even doing yoga with the tv ... so when I wake up refreshed in the morning I am soooo happy!!! (Funny I think Dave appreciates my sleeping nights as much as me.)

I was talking to a fellow cancer survivor yesterday and we were talking about the perspective we have.  (She is a 12-year survivor.... yay for her and I hope to be just like her someday).  I was telling her that a few years ago if I had a bad night sleep I would be cranky the next day and mad about whatever kept me up all night.

Now, if I have a good nights sleep I am grateful... and happy!!!  And a bad nights sleep is just part of life. 

My friend was telling me that every once in a while when she looks in the mirror she says something bad about herself -- her husband reminds her how beautiful she is and that she is alive.  

I know I may go back to the old days when I'm not grateful for the ability to drive, or sleep, or eat or go watch Lauren play soccer, or go to 3 hours of church or to cook dinner for my family, or go to the temple without a turbin, or cry when I stand on a scale and I've lost more weight... or take a bath (which I do every night and love every minute of it) and be able to take a shower without covering holes... the list goes on and on. 

I recently heard a talk that said the best way to be happy is to be grateful.  I guess the last year has been a real life science project that shows we are happiest when we are grateful!!!!

No comments: