Yesterday my stomach starting hurting, but it was a new pain I hadn't had before. When I went to bed my incision was looking red and by this morning I had a definite infection. The longer the morning went the more it hurt and worse looking nasty. I won't go into all of the icky details but by the time I got in touch with my surgeon's office the infection had finally eaten through the skin and my tummy was oozing. The doc called it exudate sp?
I ended up with an infection pocket under my skin that fortunately was between the layer of fat and abdominal wall so it hadn't gone too far. Mmmmmm....foreign objects, hydrogen peroxide and 3 docs/nurses later it was cleaned out, packed with gauze and I was ready to go with my antibiotic. I was able to do it without a numbing shot, but was there was lots of sweating, clenched hands and strange words coming out of me. Home health is coming in for the next few days to change it but then Dave is going to have to start doing it. They said normally it would be about 5 days to heal, but with chemo it could be more likely doubled.
Not sure I'm up for this new little hitch, but I guess i don't have any other options. The only thing I have to say is really, really really? Dave may be trying to talk lisa into coming to change the gauze... We will see how brave we are. Just hoping it doesn't mess up with chemo schedule!
No comments:
Post a Comment