Sunday, May 3, 2009

One of my favorite places ... two of my favorite times!










I love the cabin -- there is something great about every season. But I think two of my favorite times are New Year's Eve/Christmas Break and Conference.

1. New Year's. What could be better than tons of snow, jumping off into the deck onto snow piles, sledding up and down the roads, skating at the outdoor rink, eating all evening on New Year's (not worrying about driving around on the roads... once we make it to the cabin through the snow), banging pans at midnight, popping bottles of sparkling cider and laughing at those who snored their way into midnight (Cameron and Dave this year!) with the cousins and family ranging from 5 - 82! I love this family tradition and hope my kids think this is a great way to spend New Year's for many years to come.
2. Conference. There is no way I could get my kids to sit down and listen to all 4 sessions of confernence if we were home, but for some reason at the cabin they do. Well.... sit down, I'm not sure always listening. Usually we are up there with just our little family on Saturday and then Saturday evening other family members join us. We always go out to dinner or to take out after the priesthood session and start Sunday morning with a yummy breakfast (french toast with homemade hot buttermilk syrup this year). There are Conference bingo games, note taking, coloring contests of the picture that best depicts conference, some napping, some shushing... a short hike or trip to feed the ducks betweeen sessions ... I LOVE IT!!! (Oh and lots of snacks!) I love conference anyway, but being up there with my family and snuggling on to couch in such a beautiful setting makes it all the more wonderful.

No comments: