I know we've always been told we need to have the faith of a child and I've definitely seen that incredible faith in my children. Each of my kids seem to have a spiritual gift and goodness in differerent ways, but my sweet little Kenzi's faith never ceases to amaze me. Her unwritten "motto" (which she doesn't even realize she has) is to pray and have faith first, and then go on from there. But always, always, always pray first.
The other morning she woke up with a headache and feeling like she was going to throw up. Lauren had been sick for two days earlier in the week so I assumed she just had that. She went back to bed and said she didn't think she could go to school that day. (And... Kenzi isn't one that pretends she is sick to miss school... she'll pretend she is sick to get out of housework, but not for school.) I told her to rest and we'd see how she felt at lunch. I then told her I was supposed to "substitute" (just for 15 minutes) in her class that day before lunch.
About 20 minutes later she came downstairs and told me she was feeling better and that she could go to school. I was surprised, but glad that she wanted to go. She got dressed and we were getting ready to take her to school. Before we got in the car I asked her if she was sure she felt good enough and was she sure she wanted to go to school. She assured me she was fine and then said, "Mom, I said a little prayer to Heavenly Father and he answered it because I feel better!"
And unfaithful mom thought "oohh, I hope she doesn't get sick at school so she will know her prayer was answered." I think my faith was hope for her faith not to be disappointed, not really faith that a little prayer really had made her feel better in 15 minutes.
Ever since she was old enough to talk about Heavenly Father and prayers and faith, she has been like this. If I had a dollar for every time she has started a sentance with "I said and little prayer and ...." I'd be a millionare. When she is about to perform a song and is nervous, when she is sitting in the bathroom throwing up in the middle of the night, when she has just gotten in trouble and is feeling bad, her first words to me are "Mom, can we say a little prayer so Heavenly Father will help me not be nervous, or stop throwing up, or forgive me." She melts my heart and makes me want to be more faithful.
I remember my sister-in-law (who is really faithful like Kenzi) told me one day when she was holding Makenzie as a baby that there was just something special about her spirit. I think she was right! I often remind myself to be more like Makenzie. Thanks Kenzers!! You really are an amazing example to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment