Friday, February 27, 2009

It's Maturation Day at Valley View... You've gotta love it!

Ok... so we all remember our 5th/6th grade maturation. I remember going one evening to the lunchroom with my mom and watching this totally corny movie, being so embarrassed and laughing at the little kit I got.

My mom had already had the "talk" with Jenn and I -- but honestly I didn't understand one word my mom was talking about and I was too embarassed to tell her I didn't know what she was talking about. Cheryl Pope and I used to compare notes and between the two of us talking I think we finally figured out the real story. (That definitely changed later -- my college roommates and I used to call my mom when we had any questions -- I know I totally embarrased her sometimes but I was really glad I knew I could go to her with our questions.)

I went to Maturation with my niece Kerri (cause Lorie couldn't go that day) and remember just laughing at the girls and their moms.

Well... Lauren and I had our turn today. Those of you that know much about Lauren and I know we are both pretty open (ok... so maybe a little too open). We have had multiple discussions already about this topic -- funny ones, spiritual ones, and teary/spiritual ones when they involved adoption.


Between she and Kenzi I've had multiple discussions and nearly every question possible already.

Kenzi is quite fascinated by everything, very practical and asks some incredibly deep questions about it. Lauren on the other hand asks lots of questions but gets very embarassed. She was really nervous this morning.

My observations after attending this morning:
#1. The lady that did it was hilarious, very open and did a great job... I would love to have heard it explained the way she explained it. And I think every newlywed man/husband should hear her explanation of mood swings around PMS.


#2. The movies they use now are way, way better than the one I saw.

#3. There is nothing funnier than watching the girls (and moms) squirm, giggle, turn red throughout the whole thing and then taking their little "sample bags" back to the room after.

#4. Although Lauren was embarrased, and she and her friends were so funny after, I'm so glad I have an open relationship with her and we've already discussed this many, many times. Lauren is really easy to talk to and althought moving to these next "steps" as a mom makes me teary (yes she told me that I was totally lame this morning when I teared up at breakfast and told her there was no way she was old enough to go to maturation) I quite enjoyed this new phase of parenting this morning.

No comments: