Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Hess Family's Contribution to Stimulating the Economy and... Goodbye car from Well... you know where!

After 3 1/2 years of way too much money spent... Dave traded in his Audi and bought a new car! Don't get me wrong, I loved the Audi. Ok... that isn't true, but when it wasn't in the shop it was a great car. It felt nice, drove nice and was fabulous in the snow. We generally have great luck with cars -- my niece still drives our 1994 Honda and my dad still has the 1995 truck... not sure what happened here.

My disdain for this car started 2 weeks after we bought it on Ebay and I received a call at 8:30 am in the morning.

"Is this Mrs. Hess? This is Bob Smith from the car transport company and I was parked in a lot last night to get some sleep in Ohio when a fluke hailstorm hit. Unfortunately your new Audi was on the top back of the transport and received the worse damage."

"Excuse me... is this a joke... is this a radio show?"

"I wish it were ma'am. The back windshield was blown out and there are 1000s of dings all over the car."

When we finally saw the car 2 days later the entire inside was covered in shattered glass, the back was covered with duct tape and cardboard and yes there were 1000s of hail dings all over the car.

Because this was "an act of God" the cost was not covered by the transport company.

One month and $5000 later (fortunately our insurance paid for most of that) Dave got to drive his new car.

When the engine check light wasn't on (which was probably 2x during the 3 years) it was great! We had two fun road trips to the Las Vegas Bowl in it and Dave did like driving it around.

I can't even remember all of the problems but after being the in shop this summer for over a month to do the most extensive repair possible, two other 2 week repairs ... several thousands of dollars (I'm not even going to admit how much) it finally passed emissions in November and we decided it was time to say goodbye.

We decided to trade it in -- to avoid a repeat of the used car stalker guy from our BYU days (yes... he did stalk me at my office and showed up at our apartment in tears at 11:30pm one night and said his wife would divorce him if we didn't buy our car back) we traded it in.

So -- goodbye Audi and hello Maxima (with the heated seats that I LOVE)!!! Let's hope we have better luck this time.

No comments: