Monday, July 14, 2008

What Do You Do in the Summertime?

So my siblings and friends from my childhood tell me I have too good of a memory. They say I remember everything... especially things we don't really want to remember.

Nevertheless... I have four very distinct summer memories from when I was pretty young that have come back to me this summer as I've watched my own kids outside. My kids love these things and when I watch them it just makes me smile.

1. Playing in a little pool in our backyard (probably 3 or 4). At the end of the day standing on the edge of the pool with my mom to let the water out. The water felt so warm after being in the hot sun as it trickled over my feet ... and I loved the feeling of the soggy grass afterward. I can still remember exactly where the pool was in my backyard the first time I did this.

2. Doing the slip-n-slide on the side grass. (I know it is awful on the grass Dave, but my nostalgic side just can't say no to the kids.)


3. Playing nightgames with the neighbor kids. Kick-the-can was our favorite. Ghost in the Graveyard seems to be the popular game in our neighborhood now.

4. Eating sherbet icecream with my friend Lezlee Smith. The summer I remember this we were on a lime sherbet kick and had one everyday. Now the Hess kids love the sherbet and popsiscles too!!

No comments: