One of the blessings of having cancer is seeing how compassionate and good and kind and loving the world and people really are. Meals and texts and tears and cards and flowers and prayers come from so many people and make really tough things possible.
Knowing that this garbage affects my kids and family as much as it does me is the hardest part.
I was reminded this morning that compassion goes such a long way.
I went to the gym to do a yoga class (first class at the rec center in almost a year). I ran into an old friend and we started talking and told him my cancer was back. This sweet lady next to me overheard and told me how sorry she was. This of course started me off being very teary. After the yoga class was over she looked at me in tears and said how sorry she was for the burden I have to carry and what I must have been through the last year. We sat there on the floor both of us with tears in our eyes. She said she just wanted to reach over and let me know she loved me but thought I might think she was very strange.
Funny thing is I've seen her at the gym for years. I've always admired her kindness and goodness. She is darling and in great shape, but is also so nice to other people and seems so happy. Now I know why. She is good and kind! She truly mourns with those that mourn. I want to be more like her and was so touched by her caring and compassion. She doesn't know a thing about me or my family and yet she was exemplifies the person I should be that mourns with those that mourns and comforts those that stand in need of comfort!
No comments:
Post a Comment