Sunday, January 6, 2013

One of the best compliments ever! And some ramblings about my new hair.

#1.  Preface this part with... when my kids first found out I would be losing my hair with chemo it did "take them back a bit."  Having a totally bald mom was not what they were used too.

Lauren in particular -- being 14 at the time -- was a little worried. One of her first comments was "Mom do you promise not to show up at my school looking like a sick cancer patient?"  

At first she was hesitant for me to come to her track meets or soccer games, partially because of how I looked and because everyone wanted to talk to me and it would take forever to leave any place.  

Gradually the self-consciousness left and she didn't seem to be bothered by it.

So, back to the compliment.

Last week we were driving down the street.

Lauren:  "Mom, I'm lucky to have you as my mom."
Me:  "Wow.  Thanks.  How come I deserve that compliment."
Lauren:  "You really rock the short, platinum blonde hair.  Most moms couldn't pull that off.  You also have a good shape for a mom your age."
Me:  Trying not to react too much -- "Thanks Lolo."

Still not sure where that came from, guessing maybe one of her friends said something to her... but Dave and I got a good laugh about it. 

#2.  I also have to admit I love it when people who don't know I have cancer tell me they love my hair.  The cute kid at the grocery store yesterday said I had totally cool hair and pretty blue eyes.  Kenzi was worried Dave might not be happy if he had been there.  I assured him that since I was more than old enough to be the kid's mom it was ok.

#3.  Despite the teasing of my family and sisters tonight at dinner, I am finding enjoyment in "styling" the new hair.  I have two options now -- wearing it up (gel) and down (I put a hat on when I get out of the shower and it is flat).  Who knew a boys short haircut could have so many options. 

No comments: