Wednesday, December 12, 2012

"The Girl has Spunk!"

Every since she was little Kenzi has been well... Kenzi.  She is very creative, resourceful and determined.  If she really wants something... she is relentless about getting it.  (Honestly she can drive me crazy sometimes.)  She can fix anything.  I always tell her she will never be homeless because she just has the persistence to do anything she puts her mind to.  In the past year she has taught herself the guitar and ukulele.  She spent hour after hour up in her room practicing and learning.  Five years ago Dave's laptop broke.  She found it a year ago and she asked if she paid for it if we could get it fixed.  Long story... but she finally found the cord, left me sweet notes about fixing it, and asked me every single day -- it now works!!!

Kenzi showed me again just how as Katie Jones said "spunky" she is.
 
Kenzi made the Millcreek Jr. High Basketball team!

I know.... I didn't know she played basketball either. 

A few weeks ago she came home and said she was going to try out for basketball.  Dave and I smiled and thought good for her.  Honestly in my mind I thought there was no way she would ever make it.  Great mom I am huh?   I was just remembering back to her soccer days when she would ask her coach to take her out at halftime because she was tired. 

But she got up every day for conditioning and every day came home more and more excited.  She said she was hungrier, she decided she loved running -- she and her friend even planned to go jogging.  This from the girl that 6 months ago would have said she is "not the athletic or sporty type."  

She said to Dave on the first morning of conditioning "I am only trying out for fun and the exercise."  Dave told her she should never go into something expecting failure.  If she was going to try out she needed to try out to make it.  

At the end of conditioning she told me she really thought she had a chance of making it.  

So when they announced her name yesterday she was ecstatic!  Grandpa helped her celebrate with a dinner at Cafe Rio.

And she was off to her 1st practice at 5:30 am this morning. 

The only disappointing part is that her best friend didn't make it.  She has made the 1st cut, but didn't make the final team.  My girls reminded me of my "not making cheerleader when my friend did" -- these valuable lessons are hard to learn.  

Kenzi -- good job!  Proud of you!  Can't wait to see you play!  And as Katie says "You have spunk."

(And Kenzi is the queen of taking pictures of herself -- just throwing in a few of her funny ones.)











2 comments:

kelzone said...

what?!? grandpa ate at cafe rio? this surprises me more than mackenzie making the basketball team.

Nathan said...

Big congrats to Kenzi!! Way to put your mind (and body) to it!

p.s. LOVED the ukele duet the other night

Love, Nina