Wednesday, June 15, 2011

School is out for the summer...


School is out... summer is in. A few thoughts about the end of the year.

  • I don't remember having so many end of year parties when I was growing up. On the last day of school Lauren and 40 other kids went to an end of year party, and Cameron hosted one at our house with Kenzi and a few of her friends. The following week I think between the 3 of them there were 5 more parties. Oh to be a kid again!

  • I have this obsessive desire/need/obligation/something to go to every field trip and help with every field day. I did Cameron's field day in the morning, Kenzi's field day in the afternoon and I think every field trip Cam and Kenzi did this year. I think part of it might be the fact that my mom taught school so she never helped in my class or went on fields trips -- 2nd I must admit I really love being a part of their school lives.

  • I couldn't have mapped out a better 7th grade year for Lauren. She had great friends... they are all pretty academic oriented, but very fun loving-outgoing-sporty kids. She had just enough "feelings hurt, not get invited to a couple of parties" etc. to keep her humble and to know what it feels like to be left out, but just has a great group of boys and girls both she hangs out with. Academically it was perfect. She had a few bumps the 1st term, got an unfair grade because of some 7th grade girl stuff in peer grading, and struggled on a couple of test. The last two semesters she got 4.0 and just did great. She worked hard and deserved the grades she got. I just pray that the next two have a similar positive 7th grade experience.

  • I love summer. I love the kids being home. I love the slower pace... especially not having an every day crazy morning routine. I love playing games on the front porch and back patio with the kids. I actually kind of love Lagoon (now that we just go in 3 hour blocks). I love late nights and sleepy morning. I kind of love my early morning tennis class. And I love watching the kids love summer... they are outside right now playing night games and it brings back so many great memories!

3 comments:

The Lymans said...

Pretty soon my girls will be out there with them instead of watching them from their bedroom window :)

Tara said...

I think you guys should take a road trip to Idaho and come hang out with us...We could go camping in Jackson or Yellowstone or something.

Nancy Nina said...

Oh summer! We need Cam over working on the Yoda House more though...more mud time.