Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lolo's 1st Time Away.... SPACE CAMP!!!



For as long as I can remember, Lauren has wanted to be the first person to Mars and wanted to start it out by going to Space Camp with Mrs. Trease. The cost and sending her off on an airplane to Atlanta when she is 12 seemed a little overwhelming to me.

When she was little if she tried to have a cousin sleepover she'd always end up coming home in the middle of the night caused she'd miss "her mommy" too much. I always worried she'd never make it to girl's camp or anywhere on her own.

Long story short... yesterday she headed off to a Space Camp in Ogden. It is Tuesday - Friday, they stay in cots (10-20 per room), have cute nerdy/space camp counselors, do flight simulations, go scuba diving, try gravity chairs, go to HAFB, hear from an astronaut and generally just have a lot of fun.

She let me know on Monday night as she was packing (and I offered to help) that "mom if I'm old enough to go away by myself for a week I'm old enough to pack myself." Smart woman...I love/hate that she is so independent!

This is her friend Mandy from soccer who introduced us to the Space Camp. I'm not sure Lauren would have really gone if she hadn't known someone.

She called last night and is having a fabulous time. Said everyone is nice, they had Pizza Hut for dinner and they were busy every second of the day.

Go Lolo!

2 comments:

Misty said...

She called? See, you were worried for nothing! :)

thederricks said...

Wow~! Sounds like a lot of fun...like every kids dream!