




This afternoon I got the call you dread answering... "Stephanie, this is Debbie from Oak Hills. Cameron fell on the playground and cut his head. I'm pretty sure he'll need stitches, can you come up right away?"I rushed up and the secretary met me in the parking lot -- I think to give me a heads up that he was pretty bloody so I didn't freak out. (Fortunately, little Kenzi had two sets up stitches in her head and I know that heads can blead a ton, even if it isn't that bad.)
CAM HATES BLOOD!!! He could chop off a limb and not care... until he saw the blood.
I walked in and Cam's teaching was holding him, blood all over his face. He was pretty upset. I peaked at the cut and wanted to barf. They told me he would definitely need to go to the ER, not the Dr. office.
He screamed the whole way up, but again, I think mostly because of the blood. I was really calm until I called Dave... well then came tears.
We got to Primary, got in there and after they put lidocaine on his head he calmed down and could finally tell me what happened.
He was running across the playground to go in from recess and ran right into another kid. Apparently, he was knocked to the ground and fell right on his head.
The cut was about 4 cm. and pretty deep -- deep enough you could see a bit of the skull. It slightly ripped some covering between the skull and skin so they gave him an antiobotic just in case in get infection.
He ended up with 29 stitches -- 3 on the bottom, 5 in the middle layer and 21 on top! He was so brave -- he didn't even have to be put under. They just wrapped him up like a little burrito and he watched TV. They had numbed his head, but he was so good. It took about an hour to clean and stitch him up.
While we were waiting Dave showed him pictures of Rocky Balboa -- now he thinks he is a cool boxer.
When we got home we had several wonderful friends and Granpda bring over treats/prizes/notes and send him GET WELL wishes. We really do have great people surrounding us!
So... thanks to the nice people at Primary, to Cameron's teacher who I'm sure went home with blood all over her and to our brave Cameron!!
8 comments:
OUCH! Hope it heals quickly with no blood drips :)
Youch! That looks like it hurt. Tell Cam that we think he's pretty brave.
how brave!
i'm glad to see cameron is living up to his name sake--remember when you were pregnant and i wanted you to name him "rocky"? guess i was right all along...tell cam to yell "yo adrian, i did it!" from the top of the stairs while he pumps his fists in the air.
Cool gash - now we will have matching scars. I was not brave. I want to see the real thing.
Oh Steph .. those pictures are almost more than my weak stomach can handle. There is a very real reason that I didn't become a nurse or dr. Cam is still making me nervous, by the way. I watched him playing across the street yesterday and kept gasping every time he tripped or started wrestling someone. He's one tough kid.
Oh boy--I'm a nurse and that almost made me gag. Especially because it was sweet Cameron! I'm glad he's feeling well enough to jump, wrestle, and play again!
Oh my heck. Those are the kind of hurts that make your "butt pucker". Poor little kid. He sounds awful brave.
sweet cut Cam!!! Primary's is a great place to be...I was just there today...I found myself wishing I had needed to go there as a kid...bummer...or perhaps not. can't wait to see the cut!
Post a Comment