For the past 3 years Kenzi has battled multiple cases of strep -- 2-4 per year and several tonsilitis. After seeing the Dr. last week, we decided it was time to take the tonsils out! Thursday morning Kenzi, Lauren and I made a trek to the outpatient surgery and Kenzi had her surgery.
She was so brave going in. She wasn't nervous at all. Lauren was "wigging" out and Kenzi just laid there as they gave her an I.V. and told her what would happen. Lauren kept saying "it is ok Kenzi, it is ok" over and over and Kenzi kept saying "I know, it is fine."
She said she counted backwards from 100 -94 before she was fast asleep.
After the surgery -- she turned into the sweet, weepy child. When they took me back, she burst into tears and said it scared her when she woke up. She didn't know where she was or what had happened. She would stop crying when the Dr. or nurse would come in and then when they would leave she would get these big tear drops again! But, she wasn't complaining at all!!!
She had asked the Dr. if she could keep her tonsils so they had them in a jar. Oooeewww, they were sooo gross we decided to just take a picture and leave them there. The Dr. said her adenoids were really gross as well and she had "goop/bacteria/mucus/gunk" in them. I'm guessing she is going to be a much healthier Makenzie this fall.
Thanks for a high tolerance for pain and pain medication, she has done great. We've had so many nice family and friends bring popsicles, icecream, flowers, balloons, drinks, etc. The night before surgery she picked out 10 movies (many of which were Hannah Montanna episodes) and she has spent lots of time watching movies and playing games.
Today she actually showered, ventured out with me to get a Keva and is feeling much better. She has a way funny voice today and prefers just to use sign language.
Good job Kenzi!!!
4 comments:
We're so glad you are getting better! And way to go, Steph, for handling it like a champ. I'm usually a weepy mess when my kids are having big procedures like that. I just hate to see them so out of it! Here's hoping for no more strep!!
Hooray, it's over. Hopefully that means it really is over :) Good job Kenzi!
Hi Stephanie! Got your blog from a link on Lisa's! I hope your winter goes better without tonsils! Miss you!
i do believe you said you would write a new post last weekend. i am sad.
Post a Comment