During the last few weeks we've had several situations with the girls (particularly with Lauren) that have left me amazed with their maturity and attitude. Like many parents, I sometimes tend to focus on the negative or things that need to be improved, but I really have been impressed with how they are dealing with things as they get older.
Each of them had a situation in the same weekend with parties with friends, where Dave and I were not sure if we would let them go. Kenzi said "you guys are the mom and dad and I will respect whatever you decided." Lauren didn't come out and say that, but said just let me know what you decide.
Ultimately one of them got to go to all of the party she was invited to, and the other one went to just part of it. Not one cranky word -- not one "I have the dumbest mom and dad."
Lauren has had three more situations this week, again one with an activity with a group of good friends that I just wasn't 100% comfortable with the activity and didn't have time to really find out if it was ok and the other two involving some money and priorities and responsibility. When she called her friends back about the activity we didn't want her to go to she didn't bash us, whine or anything -- Dave overheard her and she just said "my mom won't let me go since she doesn't know a whole lot about it and she had to leave so we'll just have to do something next weekend." She then picked up the phone, called a different friend and made other plans for the night.
I'm trying to remember if at 13 if I was that respectful to my parents counsel and as far as the $$ stuff if I was nearly as responsible as Lauren. I'm pretty sure in one of the $$ situations I would have been really mad and made a big deal about it -- but she was great!!!
So Lauren and Kenzi -- thanks so much for trusting us, for being responsible and being such great girls!!
1 comment:
I hope Emma will be as great as your girls!
Post a Comment