I remember Mother's Day when I was at BYU Hawaii -- calling home and listening to all of the partying in the background thinking... for just this one day I wish I was home.
The first Mother's Day after my mom died was probably the saddest and funniest. Prior to that time, Mother's Day didn't depress me even though we hadn't been able to have kids. While my mom was alive I looked at it as a way to celebrate my love for my mom, even though I wasn't a mom. But after she died I decided as Mother's Day got closer I didn't have a Mother and I wasn't a Mother so I was feeling a little blue. I decided the best way to overcome the blues is to serve others. So I bought a potted flower and on the way up to my dad's for Sunday dinner Dave and I stopped by a Care Center to "brighten some mother's day."
Well... let's just say sometimes things don't got as planned.
We pulled in and Dave waited in the car. (He liked my idea, but thought it was a little nutty to just randomly go find some 'mom' and give her flowers and visit her so he offered to let this be own service/touching moment.)
I guess in my mind I pictured some beautiful old woman, lying in bed, tearing up when she realized someone remembered her on Mother's Day. Either she had outlived all of her children, or they were out of state and she was so hoping for a visit and flowers that day. She and I would have this "instant bonding" and I'd know that my thoughts and efforts were an answer to someone's prayers.
When I walked in I discovered I had probably picked the dirtiest, oldest, ickiest care center in SLC. (I had just looked up an address that was on the way to Bountiful.) I cheerfully walked up to the front desk with my flowers and sweetly asked the receptionist if there was a patient that didn't get any visitors from her kids today and would like a flower and a visit. "No." was the response I was given in a cranky, irritated voice. "But you can leave them here and if I think of someone I'll give them to them."
No "Oh, how thoughtful." "You are wonderful and you are going to make so and so's day!"
Just a "No."
I left the flowers and dejectedly walked back to the car. I'm sure my face said it all as I explained that not even in this dumpy care center was I wanted on Mother's Day.
I'm not sure what Dave said, but I do think by the time we got to Bountiful I was laughing and realized that I could feel sorry for myself if I wanted to, but why would I want to.
I can honestly say I think that is the only time in my life I haven't liked Mother's Day. This year was definitely high on the list of great Mother's Days.
- A gorgeous yellow and gold necklace, with a beautiful gold heart! (With the perfect pattern Cameron so carefully designed. The blue plastic chain added to the beauty.)
- A money flower card made from dollar bills, quarters and a gold dollar. (Lauren is so clever and LOVES to give gifts.)
- A beautiful picture and yummy cookies in a jar. (Kenz was so proud of her work.)
1 comment:
Steph you make me laugh.
Your kids are awesome!
Post a Comment