Monday, December 21, 2009

My Dad ... The Man Who Would Give Anyone the Shirt off His Back

Ok... so if you know my dad you know he is quite a character. From the spelling of his name IVon (yes that is capital I, capital V and don't get that wrong), to the way he answers his phone "Walls Summer home, some are in and some are out, who would you like to speak to?" he is a very unique man.

But I think one of his most unique and wonderful characteristics is his generosity and life long giving. My mom and dad were always so incredibly generous to anyone in need -- they gave their money, their time, their home and most importantly their love to anyone in need. I have so many examples, most of which I will not share because he would be embarrassed that I did not keep them private. I will be forever grateful for his giving nature and what it has taught me and my children.

Today he had the grandkids come over and he gave us money to buy gifts for the Women's Shelter Candy Cane Program, The Road Home and The Family Connection Center. We piled in the cars and went shopping. The kids had a great time picking out gifts for mostly teens (apparently they get lots of stuff for kids/babies and not a lot for teens) and it was a great opportunity for us to talk to them about the kids who are homeless, or in a shelter away from an abusive father, or just are lower income and don't have all of the things we have. We added some cash to the bags of presents and one car headed up to Layton and the rest of us headed downtown. What a great example to me and to all of his grandkids.

This is the type of thing he did over and over growing up. Just a few examples that I don't think he would mind me sharing:
* He always gave poor people money on the street or often would buy them dinner.
* He brought a homeless guy to church with us and told him if he'd come to church he'd buy him a bus ticket to wherever he was trying to get.
* Every year our family did a Sub-for-Santa for someone and now every year he has the grandkids do a sub-f0r-santa or he gives a needy family money.
* Anytime a missionary goes out he always gives them money, and if he hears me talk about a missionary going out in my ward he often gives me cash to give to them.

Thanks dad for teaching us the importance of giving and sharing... I know 20 years from now my own kids will think of you when someone is in need... and hopefully they will follow in your footsteps.

2 comments:

Linda said...

WOW. What a great example. That is a beautiful person! Your picture is wonderful, too!

The Lymans said...

I'm not surprised reading this. You are just like him!!